There has been significant media coverage of the signs that a fraternity at Old Dominion and an all-male house of Ohio State students hung out their house windows this week to “welcome” the first-year women to their campuses. Signs like, “ROWDY AND FUN. HOPE YOUR BABY GIRL IS READY FOR A GOOD TIME!” and “DAUGHTER DAYCARE.” And posters for sale in the Student Union at Appalachian State this fall included this gem:
Good for these guys! We applaud their truth in advertising, letting the incoming women, their families, and the college communities at large know that they are predatory groups of men looking to score with wiling women, or maybe even coerce or assault women who aren’t willing. It’s an important step in acknowledging the violence and misogyny that too often accompanies life in all-male social clubs.
Not sure how to advertise your willingness to engage in, or at least support, the crimes of rape and sexual assault? How about:
1. HEY, WOMEN: WE DON’T SEE YOU AS FUTURE CO-WORKERS AND BOSSES, WE SEE YOU AS SEX OBJECTS!
2. HEY, GALS: WE KNOW YOU’VE COME TO COLLEGE TO WIN OUR APPROVAL, NOT TO GET AN EDUCATION!
3. LADIES, WE SPIKE OUR PUNCH WITH GRAIN ALCOHOL TO AMBUSH YOU AT OUR PARTIES!
4. GALS: WE’RE COUNTING ON THE FACT THAT YOU DON’T KNOW HOW MUCH PAIN YOU CAN CREATE WITH A KNEE TO THE GROIN!
5. WELCOME TO THE HOUSE OF EXTRAVAGANT FREEDOM AND SCANT RESPONSIBILITY!
6. GIRLS: WE MAKE A DRINK WE CALL ‘THE PANTY DROPPER’- BUT WE DON’T TELL YOU THAT’S WHAT IT’S CALLED.
7. WE’RE NOT HERE TO LEARN, WE’RE HERE TO GET LAID!!!
8. WHAT PART OF “I CAN’T HELP MYSELF” DON’T YOU UNDERSTAND?
9. WE CELEBRATE DISRESPECTFUL BEHAVIOR!
10. WE HOST THE PARTIES ON OUR TURF SO YOU DON’T KNOW WHERE THE EXITS ARE. JOIN US THIS FRIDAY NIGHT!
What? Are you offended, those of you guys who don’t participate in or condone this criminal behavior? Then step up and confront your brothers and tell them their behavior is unacceptable and will not be tolerated. Until then, your silence signals your approval! And until then, those signs hung from all-male houses on college campuses are great reminders of why we advocate teaching women self-defense.